Saturday, October 9, 2010

Wedding at Banepa

The bride (centre) in traditional Nawari wedding dress in Banepa, 26 km east of Kathmandu, at the Chandeshwori Temple.

"Can you imagine what it would be like if your parents picked out the man you would marry? That's the custom for many where I live. I belong to the Newar culture and live in the Kathmandu Valley of Nepal. In case you never heard of Nepal, it's a small country that lies between India and China.

When Newar children are very young, their parents meet with an astrologer (someone who studies the stars) to determine the best match. After the decision is made, the boy's family gives betel nuts and fruits to the girl's family. Then, after the boy and girl grow up, they get married.

Tomorrow is my wedding day, and I will wear a beautiful dress. Weddings in Nepal last several days and involve lots of food. For example, there is a party at my house tonight, but the groom will not attend. Later, I will be carried (by my uncle and others) on a hammock to another house. Tomorrow, the wedding will take place at the groom's house. At the end of the party, my new husband and I will eat from the same plate.


I hope that we will be as happy as my parents have been all of these years."

No comments:

Post a Comment